From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removing .la files...
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:13:40
1 On Thursday 19 June 2008 13:08:09 Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > David Leverton a écrit :
3 > > Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.
4 >
5 > I'd be in favor of having a _default_ configuration for Gentoo where
6 > static binaries are never built except for some key packages (mainly for
7 > rescue situations).
8 >
9 > That way, in a dynamic-lib only system, libtool will expand -l<name> to
10 > <name>.so. Simple and easy.
11 >
12 > As Diego and others have been on a crusade to make sure that system libs
13 > are used instead of bundled libs, static libs should also be outcast.
14
15 I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as there's a way to override it for
16 people who need to.
17
18 > > Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
19 > > library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully
20 > > if the library is missing, for example)?
21 >
22 > Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
23 > or libpng.
24 >
25 > *None* of the binary distros out there ship .la files by default. Those
26 > come with -devel packages. Proof that they are (almost) never needed.
27
28 Well... the point is that removing them is a (potential) incompatibility with
29 the package as shipped by upstream. As with the previous point, I suppose I
30 could tolerate doing it by default, as long as users can choose to install
31 them if they need.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list