From: "Michael Weyershäuser" <thedude0001@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites for net-im/kopete
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:46:57
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò schrieb:
2 > As per summary, net-im/kopete is going away (again).
3 > For a while upstrem released some versions out of the KDE release cycle
4 > (0.12_alpha through 0.12.2), but now 0.12.3 was merged again inside
5 > kdenetwork-3.5.5, so the point of having it in net-im is gone again.
6 >
7 > As I've heard the most foolish requests about this, I'll be masking it for
8 > good. kde-base/kopete has already all the changes I did to net-im/kopete in
9 > the past months backported, so there's no regression in moving to it now.
10 >
11 A user just brought one reason to my attention why it might be a good
12 idea to keep this around separate from kdenetwork:
13 kde-base/kopete-3.5.5 depends on the whole KDE installation being 3.5.5,
14 while users who run stable may want to have their stable KDE
15 installation and only kopete ~amd64. kde-base/kopete-3.5.5 depends on
16 kdelibs-3.5.5 which in turn means your whole KDE installation has to be
17 3.5.5, while the current net-im/kopete may also be installed with older
18 KDE versions.
19
20 Not sure if this is a good enough reason to keep the package in portage,
21 but it's something that should be taken into consideration for those
22 running a stable gentoo...