From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 01:39:42
1 On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:30:10 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
5 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:35:34 -0700
7 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> For live-rebuild, it would be
10 > >> much nicer to have a framework that automatically triggers rebuilds
11 > >> when upstream changes are detected, like smart-live-rebuild.
12 > >
13 > > Which would require some sort of check to upstream to detect
14 > > changes on some interval.
15 >
16 > What I imagine is an option like --newuse that rebuilds packages with
17 > upstream changes. I suppose you could also have an option to rebuild
18 > if some interval has expired since the last rebuild.
19
20 That could be useful for all live packages without requiring a set. It
21 could also be used for packages that are part of a set. Like if you
22 have a set of live ebuilds, plus some others one your system
23
24 emerge --live world
25
26 Updates all live ebuilds, in a set or not. That would be useful. I tend
27 to avoid emerging live ebuilds due to having to always re-emerge them.
28 Sets would help there. But a emerge option would be even better!!!
29
30 Could have cron run that, and then an interval in portage is not
31 necessary. I was more thinking some sort of hook to upstream to see if
32 there have been any commits or changes. No reason to rebuild a live
33 package if nothing changed :)
36 William L. Thomson Jr.