From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:25:36
1 On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:54 -0700
2 "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 21 October 2003 5:58, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 21 October 2003 08:48, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
6 > > > How must a package determine what kernel is system is using?
7 > >
8 > > it uses the /usr/src/linux symlink to determine running kernel ...
9
10 Not exactly the _running_ kernel, but the _target_ kernel.
11
12 > But why do we keep up with the obselete link?
13
14 Because it is useful to be able to compile modules for a target kernel
15 that may be different than the running kernel, and a symlink is a
16 good way to point the target of your choice.
17
18 > So we still have link climbing even though we have the linux-headers
19 > package which is supposed to prevent just that...
20
21 I don't see how system headers are related to modules compilation. The
22 flameable symlink is the /usr/include/linux, but it's a different issue.
23 It is something that on some other distros points on kernel includes
24 from kernel sources, but as you said, on Gentoo, we have a linux-headers
25 package and a real directory, so we do things the right way.
28 Now, about /usr/src/linux-beta, I don't neither understand its semantics
29 or usefulness. Obviously, /usr/src/linux is the way to go also for 2.6
30 kernels, at least that's what is assumed in modules ebuilds, so I
31 usually just delete linux-beta or ignore it.
34 TGL.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list