From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How help in arch testing work
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 02:25:04
1 Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:45:04 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Again, you're using coreutils as an example, and that doesn't seem like
4 > something that would be much of a value-add to place in RDEPEND.
5 > However, if you had a package that required openssh, that would seem to
6 > be a much better candidate for an RDEPEND, since it is trivial to boot a
7 > system without openssh installed despite it being in system.
8
9 For years I had openssh in package.provided, since I literally did not
10 have a use for it at all. Then portage changed something and that didn't
11 work, so I had it added as a negative dependency in packages (where
12 busybox and module-init-tools are now, since I don't need either, all
13 modules built-in so no module-loading needed and I have a full backup
14 system install image copied over and test-booted for verification as my
15 rescue image so no rescue shell needed, and I never could get busybox to
16 build back when I used to try, until I gave up as no need for it anyway).
17
18 But when I got the netbook setup with the build chroot on the main
19 system, I installed ssh to handle secure rsyncing and remote admin from
20 my main system. So THEN I needed it and simply deleted the negative
21 dependencies.
22
23 But I STILL argue that ssh doesn't belong in @system. It's as optional
24 and special-purpose as X is, and xorg isn't in system. If people want
25 it, they can merge it, just like any other package. Really, the same
26 applies to busybox, and arguably, even to module-init-tools (and the more
27 recent replacement, kmod...), since that's not needed if people choose to
28 build all their drivers into the kernel.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman