From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How help in arch testing work
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:45:44
1 On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > it is a problem.  not all profiles use "coreutils" ... they provide replacement
3 > packages.  busybox is just one example.  the bsd/prefix guys go in even weirder
4 > directions.
5
6 Yup - hence my point about coreutils not being a good one to include
7 unless you virtualized it, which probably is more than we'd really
8 want to do for a system package.
11 > DEPEND usage is useless cruft to the point of absurdity.
12 >
13 > RDEPEND is much less common as then you're really only talking about the
14 > random shell scripts.  i'd argue still though that it still doesn't make sense
15 > considering a system can hardly boot without "coreutils".  and if you are in a
16 > situation where you have such a reduced install that it can, the existing
17 > @system semantics work for you.
18
19 Again, you're using coreutils as an example, and that doesn't seem
20 like something that would be much of a value-add to place in RDEPEND.
21 However, if you had a package that required openssh, that would seem
22 to be a much better candidate for an RDEPEND, since it is trivial to
23 boot a system without openssh installed despite it being in system.
24
25 Openssh is obviously a bit of a contrived example in the opposite
26 direction, but it is in @system.
27
28 Basically what I'm advocating is that somebody shouldn't have to
29 defend their actions if they include something from @system in
30 *DEPEND. Future maintainers are welcome to undo the work of previous
31 maintainers as always. @system packages in *DEPEND should not be
32 considered a bug (as long as they're right).
33
34 Rich