From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:23:56
1 On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:08:19PM -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > I spoke to you about this in PM, but I think I didn't make it clear,
3 > so here we are :)
4 >
5 > WRT links in file updates, this seems completely backwards. If a user
6 > was admining over ssh, it would be far easier for them to load www.g.o
7 > in their browser vs. copying link from terminal to their browser, but
8 > for that matter, why is ssh relevent wrt links in files, but not when
9 > we are talking about it being lightweight? If a user is not expected
10 > to have a browser to recieve the news, how can they be expected to
11 > have one to view doc's about it.
12
13 Links would be to guides, and bugs.
14 Like it or not, that requires a browser... distributing notice of this
15 information however does not require a browser.
16
17 > Seems like these doc's should just be added to the news, none of them
18 > are _that_ long.
19
20 Guides/docs live on the site; distributing a snapshot of them in a
21 news posting is a bad idea... forcing an emerge --sync to get at a doc
22 is just plain daft.
23 ~harring