From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Over-reliance of Gentoo projects on overlays
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:32:45
1 On 06/13/2013 12:56 AM, Alexander V Vershilov wrote:
2 >> The main reason it isn't is because nobody wants to use CVS. For
3 >> good
4 examples, see sunrise or
5 >> gentoo-haskell.
6 >
7 > As a part of gentoo-haskell team, I'd like to say that CVS issue is
8 > not strongest one, there are much more meaningful reasons for having
9 > much stuff in overlays at least for haskell.
10 >
11 > IMHO:
12 >
13 > The main point that haskell ecosystem is very breaky and only latest
14 > version is supported, so the safest path is to be on a bleeding edge
15 > and patch inconsistent applications. So if one package gets updated
16 > then commonly we need to fix its reversed deps, if it were in tree
17 > than we would be involved into stabilization process and in the end
18 > will delay updating deps, and the difficulty of tracking all version
19 > variant will be much higher than no, at the end the quality of the
20 > packages in tree will fall. Really we can _guarantee_ that everything
21 > work in overlay but there is either no technical or bureaucracy
22 > reasons that prevent from fixing as soon as possible.
23 >
24 > All above is applicable because in overlay we work on programmers
25 > libraries, with enduser
26 > applications (that are synchronized with portage tree) situation is
27 > slightly different.
30 To be clear, I meant that sunrise and gentoo-haskell were good examples
31 of overlays where e.g. subversion and git have made user contributions
32 much easier.
33
34 I don't agree that up-to-date libraries need to be in an overlay -- why
35 not ~arch or package.mask instead, and leave the platform to stable? --
36 but I benefit greatly from (and appreciate) the fact that you guys are
37 able to merge my pull requests into the overlay quickly so I can't
38 complain too much.