From: Alexander V Vershilov <alexander.vershilov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Over-reliance of Gentoo projects on overlays
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 04:56:45
1 > The main reason it isn't is because nobody wants to use CVS. For good examples, see sunrise or
2 > gentoo-haskell.
3
4 As a part of gentoo-haskell team, I'd like to say that CVS issue is
5 not strongest one, there are
6 much more meaningful reasons for having much stuff in overlays at
7 least for haskell.
8
9 IMHO:
10
11 The main point that haskell ecosystem is very breaky and only latest
12 version is supported, so
13 the safest path is to be on a bleeding edge and patch inconsistent
14 applications. So if one
15 package gets updated then commonly we need to fix its reversed deps,
16 if it were in tree than
17 we would be involved into stabilization process and in the end will
18 delay updating deps, and
19 the difficulty of tracking all version variant will be much higher
20 than no, at the end the quality
21 of the packages in tree will fall. Really we can _guarantee_ that
22 everything work in overlay
23 but there is either no technical or bureaucracy reasons that prevent
24 from fixing as soon as
25 possible.
26
27 All above is applicable because in overlay we work on programmers
28 libraries, with enduser
29 applications (that are synchronized with portage tree) situation is
30 slightly different.
33 Alexander