From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Over-reliance of Gentoo projects on overlays
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 06:52:12
1 On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Alexander V Vershilov
2 <alexander.vershilov@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > The main point that haskell ecosystem is very breaky and only latest
4 > version is supported, so
5 > the safest path is to be on a bleeding edge and patch inconsistent
6 > applications. So if one
7 > package gets updated then commonly we need to fix its reversed deps,
8 > if it were in tree than
9 > we would be involved into stabilization process and in the end will
10 > delay updating deps, and
11 > the difficulty of tracking all version variant will be much higher
12 > than no, at the end the quality
13 > of the packages in tree will fall. Really we can _guarantee_ that
14 > everything work in overlay
15 > but there is either no technical or bureaucracy reasons that prevent
16 > from fixing as soon as
17 > possible.
18
19 Still seems like working in gentoo-x86 without doing stabilization
20 would cover most of those bases. Working in the unstable main tree is
21 still a lot better than keeping stuff out there in an overlay, IMO.
22
23 Cheers,
24
25 Dirkjan