From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.17: nscd is optional
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 05:14:51
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > flatfile lookups are 2-4ms with hot cache. How much faster is the db
3 > option?
4
5 I guess it depends on the implementation and how close is the system's
6 operational situation to an ideal one (whether swap started thrashing,
7 etc.). A DB is the proper solution that can be improved if necessary
8 (e.g., keeping often-used parts in RAM). Filesystem where it resides
9 can be offered hardware with lower seek time or better cache. But I
10 agree that it is easy to rationalize bad solutions. I don't like
11 waiting on an "ls -l" in addition to the system not being responsive
12 due to some other reason, though. But maybe I am expecting too much,
13 with even PolKit delegating each query to a full-blown Javascript
14 library nowadays.
17 Maxim Kammerer
18 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte