From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 20:15:30
1 On 1 July 2013 20:09, Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 19:38:48 +0100
4 >> Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I certainly don't feel safe anymore running non-upstream code in
7 >>> production boxes.
8 >>
9 >> You don't run it unless you explicitly tick on that you want
10 >> experimental functionality _as well as_ the optional features in
11 >> question; as I said earlier on chat, I don't understand your point here.
12 >>
13 >> If you don't enable them, genpatches is just like it is before; I'm
14 >> not sure why the recommendations should change here, especially with
15 >> vanilla-sources taking a further step away from Gentoo Security and QA.
18 > Tom,
19 >
20 > I think the point was well-made by grehkh. If the patchset patches the
21 > kernel's core, it doesn't matter what CONFIG_* option is set the core
22 > kernel code _has_now_been_changed_. This is the crux of the argument,
23 > I believe. AUFS simply being one example of this. I'm sure there are
24 > others.
25 >
26 > --
27 > Matthew W. Summers
28 > Gentoo Foundation Inc.
29 > GPG: 111B C438 35FA EDB5 B5D3 736F 45EE 5DC0 0878 9D46
32 And besides that, I am sure that 98% of our users out there do not
33 know they run a (heavily?) modified upstream kernel when they emerge
34 the official/supported gentoo-sources. The transition between the
35 minimal genpatches to the "new-shiny-feature-full" was made behind the
36 scenes.
37 This should have been communicated earlier in time.
38 If you ask me, I would prefer if you apply all the 3rd-party patches
39 conditionally (use flag?, maybe a new gentoo-sources-ng ebuild?)
40 It's really scary to have the BFQ in a stable gentoo-sources ebuild.
43 Regards,
44 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
45 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang