From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:10:02
1 On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 19:38:48 +0100
3 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I certainly don't feel safe anymore running non-upstream code in
6 >> production boxes.
7 >
8 > You don't run it unless you explicitly tick on that you want
9 > experimental functionality _as well as_ the optional features in
10 > question; as I said earlier on chat, I don't understand your point here.
11 >
12 > If you don't enable them, genpatches is just like it is before; I'm
13 > not sure why the recommendations should change here, especially with
14 > vanilla-sources taking a further step away from Gentoo Security and QA.
17 Tom,
18
19 I think the point was well-made by grehkh. If the patchset patches the
20 kernel's core, it doesn't matter what CONFIG_* option is set the core
21 kernel code _has_now_been_changed_. This is the crux of the argument,
22 I believe. AUFS simply being one example of this. I'm sure there are
23 others.
26 Matthew W. Summers
27 Gentoo Foundation Inc.
28 GPG: 111B C438 35FA EDB5 B5D3 736F 45EE 5DC0 0878 9D46