From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The changes about the stabilization process
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 23:28:03
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 02.01.2017 kell 14:01, kirjutas Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 12:59 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 02/01/17 17:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
8 > > > wrote:
9 > > > >
10 > > > > On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:23:58 +0000
11 > > > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
12 > > > >
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > Because it isn't... Are set names atoms? Are package names
15 > > > > > without an
16 > > > > > associated category atoms?
17 > > > > Sets /are/ still dependency specifications, in that reading,
18 > > > > just like
19 > > > > >
20 > > > > > >
21 > > > > > > ( ) groups are dependency specifications, and lists of
22 > > > > > > atoms are dependency specifications.
23 > > > >
24 > > > > Hence, this is an example of in my mind why "atom" is a
25 > > > > *better* descriptor than "dependency specification"
26 > > > >
27 > > > > Because it rules out sets and all the other shenanigans.
28 > > > However, in this case why would we want to rule out sets, "and
29 > > > all the
30 > > > other shenanigans?"  We've already established that a single
31 > > > stable
32 > > > request bug can apply to multiple package-versions, so why not
33 > > > allow
34 > > > full dependency specifications?  If there is a set that describes
35 > > > what
36 > > > needs to be stabilized in an atomic operation, then what is the
37 > > > value
38 > > > in breaking it down into a million separate =-only atoms?
39 > > >
40 > > > If the process becomes further aided by automated tools then
41 > > > using the
42 > > > same dependency specifications as PMS/etc would allow the same
43 > > > code to
44 > > > be used to identify candidate PVs to stabilize.
45 > > >
46 > > > Of course in the most typical case you're stabilizing exactly one
47 > > > PV,
48 > > > but I'm not sure we need to limit the syntax simply because that
49 > > > is
50 > > > all that is required in the most common case.
51 > > >
52 > > I don't think we're writing new tools to do this, we're simply
53 > > using the
54 > > existing ones better. So, a list of explicit ebuilds by
55 > > Category/Package-Version is what's desired (I believe). But I'll
56 > > defer
57 > > to kensington/ago who are the ones really using this system in
58 > > anger ...
61 > Even if you don't write new tools, I don't see how sets would cause a
62 > problem.  A set is just a list of dependency specifications, which is
63 > what we're otherwise storing.  There is no rule against putting 100
64 > specific package versions in either.  If you have a set that
65 > describes
66 > something like a KDE stabilization I'd think that this would be
67 > preferable to listing all the KDE packages in the box.
68 >
69 > But, if somebody can see a problem this would cause I'm all ears.
70
71 Don't overengineer. You can't stable sets. This is a list of things to
72 stabilize. A list you pretty much copy paste to package.accept_keywords
73 as the architecture developer. You don't do that with sets. You don't
74 want to do that with ranges, as you want a concrete list of what to
75 stabilize - this is the WHOLE point of this exercise - non-vague list
76 of things in a concrete place, not having to search for it from
77 comments and whatnot.
78 It takes a list of package revisions with category, optionally with a =
79 in front (but it is not necessary), and tools like tatt will be able to
80 auto-generate a package.accept_keywords and make testing scripts.
81 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing#getatoms can get this list
82 from bugzilla for you.
83 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing#tatt git version can help
84 further.
85
86 If you don't want to use the box due to too huge list, there is already
87 the option of leaving the box empty, and marking a single attachment
88 with stabilisation list flag instead.
89
90 Name it how you want, but ultimately this is not important to the
91 functionality. I suggest "Atom Versions" or "Package revisions".
92 The documentation will just say to put it in the field named "<whatever
93 it's named>" and that's it.
94 Such a documentation is located at
95 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Stable_request
96
97 It doesn't matter what users name it, maintainers are the ones who
98 should fill out this field. Or verify it at the time of CCing arches.
101 Mart