From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The changes about the stabilization process
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 19:02:04
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 12:59 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 02/01/17 17:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:23:58 +0000
5 >>> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Because it isn't... Are set names atoms? Are package names without an
8 >>>> associated category atoms?
9 >>> Sets /are/ still dependency specifications, in that reading, just like
10 >>> || ( ) groups are dependency specifications, and lists of atoms are dependency specifications.
11 >>>
12 >>> Hence, this is an example of in my mind why "atom" is a *better* descriptor than "dependency specification"
13 >>>
14 >>> Because it rules out sets and all the other shenanigans.
15 >> However, in this case why would we want to rule out sets, "and all the
16 >> other shenanigans?" We've already established that a single stable
17 >> request bug can apply to multiple package-versions, so why not allow
18 >> full dependency specifications? If there is a set that describes what
19 >> needs to be stabilized in an atomic operation, then what is the value
20 >> in breaking it down into a million separate =-only atoms?
21 >>
22 >> If the process becomes further aided by automated tools then using the
23 >> same dependency specifications as PMS/etc would allow the same code to
24 >> be used to identify candidate PVs to stabilize.
25 >>
26 >> Of course in the most typical case you're stabilizing exactly one PV,
27 >> but I'm not sure we need to limit the syntax simply because that is
28 >> all that is required in the most common case.
29 >>
30 > I don't think we're writing new tools to do this, we're simply using the
31 > existing ones better. So, a list of explicit ebuilds by
32 > Category/Package-Version is what's desired (I believe). But I'll defer
33 > to kensington/ago who are the ones really using this system in anger ...
36 Even if you don't write new tools, I don't see how sets would cause a
37 problem. A set is just a list of dependency specifications, which is
38 what we're otherwise storing. There is no rule against putting 100
39 specific package versions in either. If you have a set that describes
40 something like a KDE stabilization I'd think that this would be
41 preferable to listing all the KDE packages in the box.
42
43 But, if somebody can see a problem this would cause I'm all ears.
46 Rich