From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:14:33
1 On 13/08/13 08:21, heroxbd wrote:
2 > Dear Fellows,
3 >
4 > Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
5 > Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
6 > in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
7 > protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
8 >
9 >[...]
10 > I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
11 > community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
12 > develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
13
14 Note that Canonical, if their project succeeds, it going to ship actual
15 devices. It's not just going to deliver a hack, but rather a real,
16 supported, ready to be used device.
17
18 No Gentoo project could possibly offer a real alternative to this.