From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage FEATURE suggestion - limited-visibility builds
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:56:21
1 On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 7/26/12 8:26 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> I've been messing around with namespaces and some of what systemd has
5 >> been doing with them, and I have an idea for a portage feature.
6 >>
7 >> But before doing a brain dump of ideas, how useful would it be to have
8 >> a FEATURE for portage to do a limited-visibility build? That is, the
9 >> build would be run in an environment where the root filesystem appears
10 >> to contain everything in a DEPEND (including @system currently) and
11 >> nothing else?
12 >
13 > I was thinking about something similar too. In my opinion it's a great
14 > feature. If/when there are any bugs to get this implemented, please let
15 > me know.
16 >
17 > A possible alternative implementation would be to make the sandbox deny
18 > access to anything outside DEPEND. One totally crazy idea to make that
19 > fast are extended attributes (portage would record which package a file
20 > belongs to when merging the file). Another possible solution is using a
21 > cache.
22
23 We already have the ability to run commands like 'equery b $somefile'
24 to map a file back to a package, so the data for a filesystem helper
25 should already be available in whatever database equery is using.
28 :wq