From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage FEATURE suggestion - limited-visibility builds
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:49:40
1 On 7/26/12 8:26 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I've been messing around with namespaces and some of what systemd has
3 > been doing with them, and I have an idea for a portage feature.
4 >
5 > But before doing a brain dump of ideas, how useful would it be to have
6 > a FEATURE for portage to do a limited-visibility build? That is, the
7 > build would be run in an environment where the root filesystem appears
8 > to contain everything in a DEPEND (including @system currently) and
9 > nothing else?
10
11 I was thinking about something similar too. In my opinion it's a great
12 feature. If/when there are any bugs to get this implemented, please let
13 me know.
14
15 A possible alternative implementation would be to make the sandbox deny
16 access to anything outside DEPEND. One totally crazy idea to make that
17 fast are extended attributes (portage would record which package a file
18 belongs to when merging the file). Another possible solution is using a
19 cache.