From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:56:49
1 Alec Warner <antarus <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > Somewhat ironically, had everyone been less stubborn last year when
4 > discussing this topic we could have embedded the EAPI in line X of the
5 > ebuild in 2008 and be using it now; instead of still discussing it.
6 >
7 > I don't expect new novel ideas out of this thread. I expect the
8 > council to defer it again because the arguments are the same as last
9 > time and last time they were not convincing enough. I would prefer if
10 > the council went one way or the other so that when we are arguing
11 > about this in 2010 we can at least say "hey we have support in
12 > $PACKAGE_MANAGERs for EAPI on line X since May 2009 so in 3 months we
13 > can just switch. We don't have to make the switch; I'm just saying we
14 > should add support to hedge our bets.
15 >
16 > Thoughts?
17
18 Well I give up. There have been exactly zero technical arguments against GLEP
19 55 and plenty of rhetoric, but if that's enough to sway people then so be it.
20 If we take EAPI extensions off the table, which of these would work the best
21 (aka. gives people the warm fuzzies).
22
23 - eapi in the file name, still ends in .ebuild
24 -- no parsing needed
25 -- doesn't allow version suffix additions/changes
26 -- requires an initial wait period for PM's to implement support and be
27 stabilized
28 -- still makes some people grumpy/threaten to leave
29
30 - eapi in the ebuild, on a predetermined line number
31 -- error prone, restrictive
32 -- doesn't require parsing
33 -- doesn't allow version suffix additions/changes
34
35 - eapi in the ebuild, anywhere
36 -- what we have now
37 -- currently requires sourcing the ebuild
38 -- sourcing the ebuild requires knowing the EAPI
39 -- doesn't allow version suffix additions/changes (actually, none of these do,
40 so i'll stop repeating it)
41
42 - eapi in the ebuild, before any other assignments/commands
43 -- ie. if we hit inherit and no EAPI is defined, EAPI=0
44 -- restrictive (eapi must be a direct assignment, no conditionals, etc)
45 -- no per category/PN eapi's or eapi's set in eclasses
46 -- probably the next best solution (IMUO)
47
48 - eapi in metadata somewhere else
49 -- meh, i'll let the proponents of this argue for it
50
51 please fill your arguments for or against, or fix whatever i have wrong.
52
53 some other random ideas i've seen tossed around:
54 - #!/bin/env eapi-parser
55 - split EAPI into EAPI and some separate counter which would only be
56 incremented on uncompatible changes to the ebuild format
57 - change .ebuild to .eb
58 - waffles (sorry, lunchtime)