From: Stefan Hellermann <stefan@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-apps/diffutils dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:05:35
1 Hi,
2
3 masking out the dependency with /etc/portage/profile is not a problem, but why is it
4 needed? Why is there the dependency on man-pages in diffutils? I think this question is
5 not related to embedded, it's about a wrong dependency of a system-package. More people
6 could hit this when they build a minimal vserver or simply don't like man. Any objections
7 on removing this dependency?
8
9 Cheers
10 Stefan Hellermann
11
12 Duncan schrieb:
13 > Stefan Hellermann <stefan@×××××××××××.de> posted
14 > 4776B1F9.2060302@×××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 29 Dec 2007
15 > 21:45:45 +0100:
16 >
17 >> why has sys-apps/diffutils a dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46?
18 >>
19 >> I'm using a embedded uclibc system
20 >
21 > There are people here who work with embedded and ulibc. I'm not one of
22 > them and won't try to answer directly. However, to fix the dependency...
23 >
24 > Use /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided. See the portage manpage for
25 > details. I have a number of "unnecessary dependencies" listed there, and
26 > a few virtuals faked in a virtuals file in the same dir, as well. If you
27 > don't like Gentoo's dependencies, they /do/ give you a way to change them
28 > yourself without a whole lot of trouble. =8^)
29 >
30 > BTW, if you aren't yet aware of it, there's the Gentoo-embedded list.
31 > Next time I'd suggest trying there, first. =8^)
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list