From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74 post-Council review update [v2]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:02:33
1 W dniu wto, 21.11.2017 o godzinie 20∶59 -0600, użytkownik R0b0t1
2 napisał:
3 > On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > > W dniu czw, 16.11.2017 o godzinie 11∶19 +0100, użytkownik Michał Górny
5 > > napisał:
6 > > > Hi, everyone.
7 > > >
8 > > > Here's the updated version of GLEP 74 taking into consideration
9 > > > the points made during the Council pre-review.
10 > > >
11 > > > ReST: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.rst
12 > > > HTML: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.html
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > New changes:
16 > >
17 > > 9d819c9 glep-0074: Disallow filenames containing whitespace
18 >
19 > This seems like a bad idea. I apologize if this is covered in more
20 > detail somewhere, but the only justification I can see is that the
21 > current grammar does not permit quoting or some other method of
22 > specifying whitespace as part of a field value.
23 >
24 > Is there any way to assure that this won't break things in a
25 > non-obvious way? I'm having a hard time imagining how it would be an
26 > inflexible requirement to use a space in a filename, but it could come
27 > up if it was necessary to use Portage on a non-Gentoo distribution.
28
29 Having a whitespace there *will* break the parser. Until a better parser
30 is provided, we need to reject it to prevent tools from accidentally
31 generating broken files. It's better to tell straight away 'sorry, you
32 can't use Manifest here' than cause completely unexpected behavior
33 in the parser.
34
35 Using whitespace in filenames is going to break Portage in horrible
36 ways. Half of shell script in it is based on whitespace-separated lists.
37 PMS doesn't provide any means to replace some of them. It's not going to
38 happen.
39
40 > It seems very arbitrary. I think the better solution is to use a better parser.
43 The parser is already there for 15 years or more. We can't just replace
44 it without breaking all old Portage versions.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny