From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74 post-Council review update [v2]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 02:59:14
1 On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > W dniu czw, 16.11.2017 o godzinie 11∶19 +0100, użytkownik Michał Górny
3 > napisał:
4 >> Hi, everyone.
5 >>
6 >> Here's the updated version of GLEP 74 taking into consideration
7 >> the points made during the Council pre-review.
8 >>
9 >> ReST: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.rst
10 >> HTML: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/glep-0074.html
13 > New changes:
14 >
15 > 9d819c9 glep-0074: Disallow filenames containing whitespace
16
17 This seems like a bad idea. I apologize if this is covered in more
18 detail somewhere, but the only justification I can see is that the
19 current grammar does not permit quoting or some other method of
20 specifying whitespace as part of a field value.
21
22 Is there any way to assure that this won't break things in a
23 non-obvious way? I'm having a hard time imagining how it would be an
24 inflexible requirement to use a space in a filename, but it could come
25 up if it was necessary to use Portage on a non-Gentoo distribution.
26
27 It seems very arbitrary. I think the better solution is to use a better parser.
28
29 Cheers,
30 R0b0t1