From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:44:44
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 17:34 -0400, warnera6@×××××××.edu wrote:
6 >> I think Brian mentioned /etc/portage/profile and other fun portage tricks
7 >>to mess with the default profile. If you think the profile shouldn't be
8 >>changed then don't make it a mutable option. If you think that bugs
9 >>where people fubared their profile are a problem then write a tool to
10 >>print out that information and have the user present it to you when they
11 >>file the bug.
15 >What? I was saying that *we* shouldn't have to waste *our* time making
16 >profiles we won't use. End of discussion. If you want a
17 >"warner6-wuz-here" profile under default-linux/x86 that turned off all
18 >the USE flags and only enabled USE="yes-I-really-only-want-this-one-USE"
19 >then you could. We won't stop you, nor will we care to stop you. We
20 >wouldn't even complain.
23 >>As far as maintainability, you could always make a profile outside of the
24 >>default-linux tree ( default-gentoo/* ) and construct the
25 >>smaller/faster/better profiles there. That means anyone that wants to
29 >No. *I* could not because *I* think it is a waste of time. I care
30 >about exactly one profile, in honesty, the one I use to build the
31 >release. If there were 10,000 other profiles, I wouldn't care.
35 and *I* can't make a tree-wide server profile because *I* don't have a)
36 commit access and b) a minimal profile to derive from other than
37 default-linux, and thats yours and you said you will not let it be
38 changed. Plus default-linux is far too minimal. So *I* have to jump on
39 -dev and convince others ( not necessarily you, mind ) that a profile of
40 this nature is a good idea, so *I* don't end up having to duplicate tons
41 of work making a default profile for every arch I run.
42
43 >That being said, I wouldn't want anyone changing the profile I used to
44 >build the release.
45 >
46 >If I do a stage3 today and a stage3 tomorrow, both using the same
47 >profile, then do an "emerge gnome" on each, I would expect it to have
48 >the same USE flags. This is a simple matter of reproducibility and
49 >predictability.
53 >>customize can change the symlink and you ( releng ) still get your
54 >>pristine release profiles ( which IMHO is a silly notion, but I don't
55 >>manage your bugs, so whichever way you like ;) ). Going on that notion,
59 >I am really shooting for predictability with the profiles that are
60 >managed by releng.
64 >>you could also do default-linux/x86/2005.1/release or whatnot if you want
65 >>to maintain that as well.
69 >Why? Would you not expect the 2005.1 Handbook plus the 2005.1 media
70 >plus the 2005.1 profile to produce a 2005.1 system? Why would I need a
71 >"release" sub-profile to distinguish it as a release? Is that not
72 >completely redundant?
75 The plan with having a release sub-profile was making the
76 default-linux/${ARCH}/${RELEASE}/ a minimal profile and then have the
77 /release subprofile be 'normal', and taking a second look really no
78 different from a "desktop" subprofile other than better naming.
79
80 as far as profiles, there is no documentation that I can find on who
81 'owns' profiles and does work on them. Sorry if you end up doing all
82 the work on default-linux, I will focus my efforts elsewhere if that is
83 the case. I just know that for the majority of profiles
84 default-linux/arch is what most of them inherit from, so thats where the
85 party started ;)
86
87 -Alec Warner (antarus)
91 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list