From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:05:07
1 On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 17:34 -0400, warnera6@×××××××.edu wrote:
2 > I think Brian mentioned /etc/portage/profile and other fun portage tricks
3 > to mess with the default profile. If you think the profile shouldn't be
4 > changed then don't make it a mutable option. If you think that bugs
5 > where people fubared their profile are a problem then write a tool to
6 > print out that information and have the user present it to you when they
7 > file the bug.
8
9 What? I was saying that *we* shouldn't have to waste *our* time making
10 profiles we won't use. End of discussion. If you want a
11 "warner6-wuz-here" profile under default-linux/x86 that turned off all
12 the USE flags and only enabled USE="yes-I-really-only-want-this-one-USE"
13 then you could. We won't stop you, nor will we care to stop you. We
14 wouldn't even complain.
15
16 > As far as maintainability, you could always make a profile outside of the
17 > default-linux tree ( default-gentoo/* ) and construct the
18 > smaller/faster/better profiles there. That means anyone that wants to
19
20 No. *I* could not because *I* think it is a waste of time. I care
21 about exactly one profile, in honesty, the one I use to build the
22 release. If there were 10,000 other profiles, I wouldn't care.
23
24 That being said, I wouldn't want anyone changing the profile I used to
25 build the release.
26
27 If I do a stage3 today and a stage3 tomorrow, both using the same
28 profile, then do an "emerge gnome" on each, I would expect it to have
29 the same USE flags. This is a simple matter of reproducibility and
30 predictability.
31
32 > customize can change the symlink and you ( releng ) still get your
33 > pristine release profiles ( which IMHO is a silly notion, but I don't
34 > manage your bugs, so whichever way you like ;) ). Going on that notion,
35
36 I am really shooting for predictability with the profiles that are
37 managed by releng.
38
39 > you could also do default-linux/x86/2005.1/release or whatnot if you want
40 > to maintain that as well.
41
42 Why? Would you not expect the 2005.1 Handbook plus the 2005.1 media
43 plus the 2005.1 profile to produce a 2005.1 system? Why would I need a
44 "release" sub-profile to distinguish it as a release? Is that not
45 completely redundant?
48 Chris Gianelloni
50 Games - Developer
51 Gentoo Linux