From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:18:40
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:57, Michael Marineau wrote:
2 > I also like the seperate trees. And splitting out the base system into a
3 > tarball and putting only updates in the rsync tree is certainly doable.
4 > However, dividing out between a release tarball and synced updates begins to
5 > distroy the elegence that only switching a portage tree has. I don't really
6 > see why using rsync will overburden the mirrors any more than they are now.
7 > Afterall, currently everyone has to rsync. If it is so important to use
8 > tarballs maybe it would work to just provide update snapshots that can be
9 > downloaded and inserted into the existing tree. Snapshots could be done by
10 > either grabbing the whole tree or just include new or updated ebuilds. Basicly
11 > it would be encouraging enerprise users to use emerge-webrsync instead of
12 > emerge sync. Personally though, I don't think avoiding rsync would really help
13 > that much.
14
15 I'm not sure why rsync would be too bad myself. I merely mentioned
16 another option. As I said originally, I'm totally open to discussion.
17 I definitely like the simplicity in my original comment of switching
18 portage trees.
19
20 > Who maintains the old trees is a pretty big issue. Is this more serious than
21 > just determining how many releases to support and will actually limit how
22 > 'enterprise' like enterprise gentoo will be? There have been a far range of
23 > needs that could be addressed. Can gentoo do it all or just rehash fancy ways
24 > of doing `glsa-check`?
25
26 I totally agree. I also think that being a community-based distribution
27 that doesn't have the resources that many other distributions can
28 afford, perhaps we should just start implementing what we can. Would it
29 really be so bad to just do the -release trees, even if we didn't
30 provide updates for everything to begin with? While this might not be
31 popular with everyone, I am sure there are a number of people who would
32 use the tree, and just like the -current portage tree that has gained
33 developers and other things over time, it would *evolve* into an
34 enterprise style product, rather than us never releasing anything of the
35 sort due to trying to solve all the problems at once. Once again I ask,
36 is it better to try and fail, than to not try at all? I mean, if we
37 tried to do this and weren't able to accomplish it, we would be able to
38 show people exactly why we were unable to do so, rather than give them
39 all these reasons of why we *think* we can't do it.
40
41 After all, in the open source world, you never know what can happen.
42 IBM may step up and decide to throw some developers at helping us keep
43 the -release trees up to date... or Novell... or anybody. You just
44 don't know and you can't say that it won't happen because nobody can
45 tell the future. Perhaps we'll simply get enough ebuild submissions and
46 patches from the people using the -release trees that we'll be able to
47 sustain. After all, the biggest problem everyone has with the -release
48 trees is "who's going to maintain it", but it is infinitely easier to
49 test a patch that someone has provided to solve a problem than it is to
50 locate the problem, figure out how to fix it, write a patch, and test a
51 patch.
54 Chris Gianelloni
55 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
56 Gentoo Linux
57
58 Is your power animal a penguin?