From: Michael Marineau <marineam@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:57:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Olivier Crete wrote:
5
6 | On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:00 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
7
8 |>I can see how profiles could be used to accomplish this sort of thing,
9 |>but pinning of versions would not be the way to go about it.
10 |
11 |
12 | I agree
13
14 I second that, profiles seem like something that is far to static to work well
15 with security updates and allowing site admins to upgrade specific packages if
16 they choose to do so.
17 |
18 |
19 |
20 |>For simplicity, I'm going to name everything, but none of this is set in
21 |>stone. For one, the "gentoo-x86" CVS module would be come
22 |>"gentoo-current", as it reflects the actual usage and state of the
23 |>tree. The profiles in the current tree would have their versions
24 |>removed, as this is a fluid target. This matches our current tree the
25 |>best, and allows for us to make dynamic changes to the profiles between
26 |>releases. For example, default-x86-2005.0 (or
27 |>default-linux/x86/2005.0), would become default-linux/x86/current. Each
28 |>release tree would be identified as such. I'm going to work with
29 |>cascading profiles, to make my life easier. At release time, a branch
30 |>is made for the release. We would take the stable ebuilds/packages from
31 |>gentoo-current and drop it into gentoo-2005.0-release and a new profile
32 |>default-linux/x86/2005.0 would be created. This profile would never
33 |>change. If there were multiple sets of stages created, such as the
34 |>amd64 release for 2004.2, which will have both gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4
35 |>stages, a sub-profile would be created,
36 |>default-linux/amd64/2005.0/gcc34.
37 |>
38 |>At this point, the -release tree is turned over to -releng and the arch
39 |>leads/maintainers for preparation for the impending release. If changes
40 |>are needed that only affect the LiveCD/GRP, they go into the tree
41 |>directly. If changes are needed that affect the package as a whole, the
42 |>package maintainer is contacted, and the package is fixed in both the
43 |>-current and -release trees. At some point, the tree is frozen and a
44 |>snapshot is made. This becomes the official snapshot for that release.
45 |>A new rsync mirror set is created for the tree, and the make.globals
46 |>SYNC is set to that new rsync mirror,
47 |>rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-2005.0-release/. The stages/LiveCD/GRP
48 |>is built for the release, and everything is golden. The things that are
49 |>marked as "stable" are never changed via rsync in this tree, as they are
50 |>the unchanging base. The release is made, the planets align, and there
51 |>is peace for a thousand generations...
52 |
53 |
54 | I like the idea of a separate tree.. But if it really rarely changes,
55 | rsync is just overkill and will overburden our mirrors.. Lets just make
56 | it a tarball and put the enhancements in a rsync'ed overlay. Rsync is
57 | for stuff that changes...
58
59 I also like the seperate trees. And splitting out the base system into a
60 tarball and putting only updates in the rsync tree is certainly doable.
61 However, dividing out between a release tarball and synced updates begins to
62 distroy the elegence that only switching a portage tree has. I don't really
63 see why using rsync will overburden the mirrors any more than they are now.
64 Afterall, currently everyone has to rsync. If it is so important to use
65 tarballs maybe it would work to just provide update snapshots that can be
66 downloaded and inserted into the existing tree. Snapshots could be done by
67 either grabbing the whole tree or just include new or updated ebuilds. Basicly
68 it would be encouraging enerprise users to use emerge-webrsync instead of
69 emerge sync. Personally though, I don't think avoiding rsync would really help
70 that much.
71 |
72 |
73 |
74 |>...until disaster strikes and a package has a security vulnerability.
75 |>At this point, the package is patched, a GLSA is released, and the new
76 |>ebuild goes into the tree as ~arch. You will notice that I have left
77 |>out the whole "who does the updates" part of this and there is a good
78 |>reason for it. I haven't got a clue. This would need to be decided by
79 |>interest. After all, many people are not going to be very excited about
80 |>applying patches to old versions of software, and that's ok.
81 |>*** This is the weakness in not only my plan, but ANY "Enterprise
82 |>Gentoo" plan ***
83
84 Who maintains the old trees is a pretty big issue. Is this more serious than
85 just determining how many releases to support and will actually limit how
86 'enterprise' like enterprise gentoo will be? There have been a far range of
87 needs that could be addressed. Can gentoo do it all or just rehash fancy ways
88 of doing `glsa-check`?
89 |
90 |
91 | This overlays should probably each have their own cvs module (or all be
92 | directories under the same module, I dont really care... Where all
93 | package maintainers would have access.. And then we can mark them stable
94 | using the same kind of procedures we currently use for GLSAs...
95 |
96 | Also, the problem with maintaining older versions is that we need to
97 | have at least one machine available for each version where the concerned
98 | devs can test security updates.. Ok, maybe at least one per
99 | architectures using chroots... but its still a lot of infrastructure..
100 | That's why reducing the number of stable releases to maybe even just one
101 | a year might be a good idea.
102 |
103 |
104 |