From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:12:21
1 Hey,
4 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:00 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > > 4/ we will need to have a policy about how long we'll support a profile,
6 > > and a procedure for end-of-lifing profiles. (probably don't want to
7 > > support a single profile for more than 2 years)
8 >
9 > I think we had decided that a good number was 4 releases. Now, the
10 > length of time for that would be determined by the release schedule,
11 > naturally. The biggest problem will be our lack of manpower to back
12 > port fixes. I really don't see us overcoming this problem any time
13 > soon.
14
15 Four releases a year is way to many.. after two years its 8 releases to
16 support.. This vastly exceeds our current man-power.. Debian with its
17 over 1000 devs only maintains one. One a year seems like a better
18 number to me (maybe two a year).
19
20 In the multiple profile scenario.. that would create possibly hundreds
21 of ebuilds to be kept in the tree for a single package (one per release
22 per arch and then a few unstable... thinking of a package like glibc)..
25 > I can see how profiles could be used to accomplish this sort of thing,
26 > but pinning of versions would not be the way to go about it.
27
28 I agree
31 > For simplicity, I'm going to name everything, but none of this is set in
32 > stone. For one, the "gentoo-x86" CVS module would be come
33 > "gentoo-current", as it reflects the actual usage and state of the
34 > tree. The profiles in the current tree would have their versions
35 > removed, as this is a fluid target. This matches our current tree the
36 > best, and allows for us to make dynamic changes to the profiles between
37 > releases. For example, default-x86-2005.0 (or
38 > default-linux/x86/2005.0), would become default-linux/x86/current. Each
39 > release tree would be identified as such. I'm going to work with
40 > cascading profiles, to make my life easier. At release time, a branch
41 > is made for the release. We would take the stable ebuilds/packages from
42 > gentoo-current and drop it into gentoo-2005.0-release and a new profile
43 > default-linux/x86/2005.0 would be created. This profile would never
44 > change. If there were multiple sets of stages created, such as the
45 > amd64 release for 2004.2, which will have both gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4
46 > stages, a sub-profile would be created,
47 > default-linux/amd64/2005.0/gcc34.
48 >
49 > At this point, the -release tree is turned over to -releng and the arch
50 > leads/maintainers for preparation for the impending release. If changes
51 > are needed that only affect the LiveCD/GRP, they go into the tree
52 > directly. If changes are needed that affect the package as a whole, the
53 > package maintainer is contacted, and the package is fixed in both the
54 > -current and -release trees. At some point, the tree is frozen and a
55 > snapshot is made. This becomes the official snapshot for that release.
56 > A new rsync mirror set is created for the tree, and the make.globals
57 > SYNC is set to that new rsync mirror,
58 > rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-2005.0-release/. The stages/LiveCD/GRP
59 > is built for the release, and everything is golden. The things that are
60 > marked as "stable" are never changed via rsync in this tree, as they are
61 > the unchanging base. The release is made, the planets align, and there
62 > is peace for a thousand generations...
63
64 I like the idea of a separate tree.. But if it really rarely changes,
65 rsync is just overkill and will overburden our mirrors.. Lets just make
66 it a tarball and put the enhancements in a rsync'ed overlay. Rsync is
67 for stuff that changes...
70 > ...until disaster strikes and a package has a security vulnerability.
71 > At this point, the package is patched, a GLSA is released, and the new
72 > ebuild goes into the tree as ~arch. You will notice that I have left
73 > out the whole "who does the updates" part of this and there is a good
74 > reason for it. I haven't got a clue. This would need to be decided by
75 > interest. After all, many people are not going to be very excited about
76 > applying patches to old versions of software, and that's ok.
77 > *** This is the weakness in not only my plan, but ANY "Enterprise
78 > Gentoo" plan ***
79
80 This overlays should probably each have their own cvs module (or all be
81 directories under the same module, I dont really care... Where all
82 package maintainers would have access.. And then we can mark them stable
83 using the same kind of procedures we currently use for GLSAs...
84
85 Also, the problem with maintaining older versions is that we need to
86 have at least one machine available for each version where the concerned
87 devs can test security updates.. Ok, maybe at least one per
88 architectures using chroots... but its still a lot of infrastructure..
89 That's why reducing the number of stable releases to maybe even just one
90 a year might be a good idea.
95 Olivier Crête
96 tester@g.o
97 Gentoo Developer