From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:39:45
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:12, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > I like the idea of a separate tree.. But if it really rarely changes,
3 > rsync is just overkill and will overburden our mirrors.. Lets just make
4 > it a tarball and put the enhancements in a rsync'ed overlay. Rsync is
5 > for stuff that changes...
6
7 That works for me. I was simply trying to propose a way to do it with
8 the least amount of changes for the users. Perhaps have the main
9 tarball delivered by rsync so a version switch is still transparent?
10
11 > This overlays should probably each have their own cvs module (or all be
12 > directories under the same module, I dont really care... Where all
13 > package maintainers would have access.. And then we can mark them stable
14 > using the same kind of procedures we currently use for GLSAs...
15 >
16 > Also, the problem with maintaining older versions is that we need to
17 > have at least one machine available for each version where the concerned
18 > devs can test security updates.. Ok, maybe at least one per
19 > architectures using chroots... but its still a lot of infrastructure..
20 > That's why reducing the number of stable releases to maybe even just one
21 > a year might be a good idea.
22
23 I'm not opposed to that. I think I would prefer 2, simply to reduce the
24 amount changed between releases, making it easier for users to upgrade.
25 Switching to 2 releases per year with a 4 release retention puts us at 2
26 years of support in the -release trees. Switching to 1 year release
27 cycles puts us out to 4 years. An awful lot can change in 4 years in
28 the Linux world. I'm not sure we would possibly be able to keep up with
29 such a long-reaching goal.
30
31 Personally, I would say we try to move on this by 2005.0 and see what
32 happens, without changing release schedules and only supporting 4
33 releases. This would carry us through 2005.X and into 2006.X, where we
34 could make adjustments to the release cycle if we deem it necessary.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
39 Gentoo Linux
40
41 Is your power animal a penguin?