From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Quoting patch for repoman
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:04:25
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 30 September 2007, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >> > On 04:52 Sat 29 Sep , Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 >> >> does this work with multilines ?
7 >> >> if [[ -e ${S}/asdfasdfasdf && \
8 >> >> -f ${WORKDIR}/moo ]]
9 >> >> then
10 >> >>
11 >> >> this is a crappy example, but entirely correct when the if statement
12 >> >> gets real long ...
13 >> >
14 >> > No, it doesn't. That's why I just made it a warning instead of a
15 >> > failure, because it's not always going to work.
16 >>
17 >> If there aren't many false positives then we don't have to reduce it
18 >> to a warning since they can use the new repoman --force option to
19 >> force the commit. If there are many false positives then I think we
20 >> should try to filter those out if possible so that we don't have to
21 >> reduce it to a warning and spam people with bogus warning messages.
22 >
23 A place to start might be a list of all known variables from say the
24 devmanual, along with whether they're allowed to be used as
25 multi-parameters in `for' or function/cmd calls. So it's legitimate to see
26 eg: for f in $A (even if it isn't space-proofed; that'd need an array.)
27 Most variables like $S and $WORKDIR are 'scalar' so their expansions should
28 always be quoted.
29
30 By only focussing on known variables, we wouldn't be prone to false
31 positives with user vars (for which we can't know what expansions are
32 appropriate.)
33
34 > i see --force as something you should use in order to get around
35 > semi-serious (but there's a good reason for it) ... not something that
36 > people should have to use to get around perfectly legit code ...
37 >
38 > maybe a new function in repoman that would eat a line as the shell defines
39 > it (in other words, sucks in all line continuations)
40
41 Is there no way to tie into the bash parser code with PyC? I don't know it
42 very well, but I have a feeling you do.. ;) Other than that the KATE syntax
43 highlighter for BASH was recently updated and is very effective. It might
44 be a good starting point.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list