From: Don Davies <djdavies@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Couple of cosmetic thingies...
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:26:32
1 Hi, devs
2
3 I was reminded of this whilst reading over the newly posted Desktop Guide.
4 Great work by the way, I enjoyed reading it.
5
6 >From /etc/profile:
7 #eval `dircolors -b`
8 #commented out because it causes problems with tcsh
9
10 Why not just change it to:
11 eval `dircolors`
12
13 ...which causes dircolors to act properly, based on $SHELL. :-)
14
15 This makes the default setup more colorful... archives and image files
16 come to mind. Is there interest in providing a DIR_COLORS file?
17 This could extend things even further.
18
19 Another nugget I was thinking of... Gentoo doesn't currently have a
20 lesspipe.sh script. If you're not familiar with it, this lets you view
21 compressed archives and such using less. See:
22 http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~friebel/unix/lesspipe.html
23
24 Slackware has a simpler implementation, and Im sure other Linux vendors
25 provide one.. probably Debian. But anyway, its incredibly useful.. If there
26 is interest, I could look at making it work with most since it is the default
27 pager. Any interest in this?
28
29 Cheers