From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:32:08
1 On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:30:02 +0000
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > > My compiles as a dev are of very minimal use to anybody except me.
6 > > There are too many things that are specific to my systems.
7 > >
8 > Sure. Presumably you test packages with standard C-flags as users are
9 > advised to before bug-reporting? Other than USE flags what else would
10 > make your packages unsuitable for others? If it's only USE flags,
11 > then at least the pkg is a start- if others want different settings
12 > they can compile their own.
13
14 The (well, at least one) problem is that you're only thinking about
15 individual packages. However to be of any real use you'd need all
16 packages to use the same system configuration. Otherwise you'll get ABI
17 breakages and other runtime errors. Oh, and people using those binaries
18 would ahve to use the same system configuration as well (or at least a
19 very similar one).
20 This pretty much rules out devs submitting home-build binary packages
21 of ebuilds they maintain to a central repository.
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list