From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:37:51
1 On Tuesday 11 May 2004 15:38, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 May 2004 20:55, Kevin wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Thanks for your reply, Greg. Although what you say here may be
5 > > true in some circumstances, I think you're wrong in this case. You
6 > > may have stopped reading after the above paragraph, but in the rest
7 > > of my post, I describe how a SuSE9 distro installed on this same
8 > > hardware has no problems doing all of the things that failed in
9 > > Gentoo. That's a pretty strong indication that there are no
10 > > hardware problems, isn't it?
11 >
12 > Do you also have errors when you run a vanilla kernel?
13
14 Yes, I mentioned that in my first post. Or by vanilla do you mean a
15 kernel from kernel.org (as opposed to the Gentoo vanilla-sources
16 kernel---that's the one I tried; isn't that identical to the kernel
17 from kernel.org?)
18
19 > What if you
20 > take the kernel from SUSE,
21
22 I haven't tried installing Gentoo with my SuSE kernel running. Huh...
23 what a concept. With all the modularity of those default distro
24 kernels, would that even work? Maybe I'd need the kernel, the
25 System.map, and the /lib/modules/`uname -r` directory?
26
27 > which compiler do you use?
28
29 I built the standard compiler that you get with
30 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" (stable). gcc and friends. Whatever is the
31 standard stable ebuild is the one I built.
34 Thanks.
35
36 -Kevin
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list