From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal for consistency between {RUBY,PYTHON,PHP}_TARGETS
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:49:50
1 On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 08:07 -0800, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 24/11/2012 07:46, Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 > > For ruby19, split in the middle to get 1.9, but what about 110, is it
4 > > 11.0 or 1.10.
5 >
6 > Okay stop.
7 >
8 > There's no 1.10.
9 >
10 > There's 2.0 that's being developed for a long time.
11 >
12 > And we're not going to change our scheme just because of some
13 > theoretical corner case that has been proven not happening in our world.
14 >
15 > Especially since we were the first (and not even with ruby-ng, the
16 > syntax has been the same for years, starting with ruby16).
19 Sorry, I didn't mean/intend to pick on ruby. I personally don't use it,
20 nor do I have RUBY_TARGETS, or PHP_TARGETS set. I was just trying to
21 point out a possible flaw in using that scheme as a common method of
22 specifying versions in all those variables, or any future *_TARGETS type
23 variable.
24
25 ok, then please substitute "foo" for any ruby, python, php references in
26 my previuos post...
27
28 If we are going to come up with a common way of doing it, we will need
29 to consider such a "corner case" so that we have as few exceptions to
30 the rule as possible. Unlike the English language that I think too
31 often has more exceptions to the rule than ones that actually follow the
32 rule :/
33
34 It was not my intention to start yet ANOTHER -dev mail list flame war!
35 My apologies to the list.
36 --
37 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>