From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:21:51
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > 2.  Install them into different prefixes (eg /usr/lib/openssl +
3 > > /usr/lib/libressl and have the linker link to a specific version,
4 > > /usr/include/{openssl,libressl} too).
5 >
6 > For the record, this is something I've been wondering about for a long
7 > time. However, there are two problems with that: a small one
8 > and a huge one.
9 >
10 > The small problem is that this requires a lot of additional downstream
11 > work. I mean, you have to explicitly support the choice in ebuilds,
12 > and this means making things even harder for newcomers.
13
14 pkg-config/pkgconf and .pc files can help with this part, taking care
15 of all abstraction if/when downstream uses a libressl.pc.
18 > The big problem is that (unless I'm mistaken) we won't be able to load
19 > LibreSSL and OpenSSL to the same executable. So we'd actually have to
20 > enforce that the whole link chain links to the same SSL provider,
21 > and effectively land pretty close to where we are now.
22
23 I'd suggest investigating whether symbol versioning could help with this,
24 or if the only way forward would indeed be to require some symbol
25 mangling/rewriting.
28 //Peter