From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:33:43
1 On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 13:21 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > 2.  Install them into different prefixes (eg /usr/lib/openssl +
4 > > > /usr/lib/libressl and have the linker link to a specific version,
5 > > > /usr/include/{openssl,libressl} too).
6 > >
7 > > For the record, this is something I've been wondering about for a
8 > > long
9 > > time.  However, there are two problems with that: a small one
10 > > and a huge one.
11 > >
12 > > The small problem is that this requires a lot of additional
13 > > downstream
14 > > work.  I mean, you have to explicitly support the choice in ebuilds,
15 > > and this means making things even harder for newcomers.
16 >
17 > pkg-config/pkgconf and .pc files can help with this part, taking care
18 > of all abstraction if/when downstream uses a libressl.pc.
19
20 As we have learned from the ncurses[tinfo] debacle, 80% of build systems
21 don't use the .pc files, and just guess "-lssl" flags and a bunch of
22 include dirs. Hence, this boils down to patching a mountain of build
23 systems again, which while being the ultimately correct way, is a pipe
24 dream.
25
26 > > The big problem is that (unless I'm mistaken) we won't be able to
27 > > load
28 > > LibreSSL and OpenSSL to the same executable.  So we'd actually have
30 > > enforce that the whole link chain links to the same SSL provider,
31 > > and effectively land pretty close to where we are now.
32 >
33 > I'd suggest investigating whether symbol versioning could help with
34 > this,
35 > or if the only way forward would indeed be to require some symbol
36 > mangling/rewriting.
37
38 While this sounds like a theoretical solution, it isn't tractable
39 because
40 1. We're inventing our own ABI that is incompatible with everyone else's
41 2. We'd have to maintain a huge swamp of downstream patches
42 3. ABI can still break even with perfect symbol versioning