From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proliferation of IUSE=static-libs in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:53:44
1 On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 05:57:35PM +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:40:44 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > As part of that we also shouldn't deliver static libraries
6 >
7 > OK, so you want to absolutely kill dead the only current sane way for
8 > developers who use Gentoo to ship static binaries to their users'
9 > target systems? Drive them away to another Linux distro that does
10 > support being the build platform that they need? Or force everyone to
11 > use EXTRA_ECONF"--enable-static" and hope for them that it works for
12 > all packages? All just because static linking *between* ebuilds is bad?
13
14 This is close to my current case. Trying (in my own time) to build a
15 (hopefully elegant) demo setup of Gentoo & crossdev with static libs
16 enabled, to present as an alternative to CentOS which is currently the
17 build env at my job (and static linkage is the way the product is built
18 now). I run into cross-compilation problems when I enable
19 USE=static-libs to any extent, despite the comment in Gentoo's fake
20 /usr/lib64/*.so files saying "And yes, this works in the cross-
21 compiling scenario as the sysroot-ed linker will prepend the real path".
22 But it's what I'd rather have resolved than have no USE=static-libs at
23 all.