From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proliferation of IUSE=static-libs in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:06:49
1 On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:53:34 +0000
2 Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 05:57:35PM +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:40:44 +0100
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > As part of that we also shouldn't deliver static libraries
9 > >
10 > > OK, so you want to absolutely kill dead the only current sane way
11 > > for developers who use Gentoo to ship static binaries to their
12 > > users' target systems? Drive them away to another Linux distro that
13 > > does support being the build platform that they need? Or force
14 > > everyone to use EXTRA_ECONF"--enable-static" and hope for them that
15 > > it works for all packages? All just because static linking
16 > > *between* ebuilds is bad?
17 >
18 > This is close to my current case. Trying (in my own time) to build a
19 > (hopefully elegant) demo setup of Gentoo & crossdev with static libs
20 > enabled, to present as an alternative to CentOS which is currently the
21 > build env at my job (and static linkage is the way the product is
22 > built now). I run into cross-compilation problems when I enable
23 > USE=static-libs to any extent, despite the comment in Gentoo's fake
24 > /usr/lib64/*.so files saying "And yes, this works in the cross-
25 > compiling scenario as the sysroot-ed linker will prepend the real
26 > path". But it's what I'd rather have resolved than have no
27 > USE=static-libs at all.
28
29 libtool often screws up relinking unless --with-sysroot is passed to
30 configure, which is something we're adding for EAPI 7. I need to take a
31 closer look at those fake .so files to see whether anything more needs
32 to be done.
35 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
36 Gentoo Linux Developer