From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zerochaos@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: enabling ipc-sandbox & network-sandbox by default
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 17:09:09
1 Dnia 2014-05-12, o godz. 12:07:11
2 "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > What about talking to local network resources? In my metasploit ebuild
5 > it has tests available which talk to a local database and are perfectly
6 > safe, however, if postgresql is started on the system the tests don't
7 > work, the ebuild needs to start it's own postgresql to run the tests.
8
9 How can you assume that the tests are perfectly safe? What do the tests
10 do exactly?
11
12 > This seems a bit needless in my package, but likely saves others from
13 > poorly written tests. Do we want to allow access to system network
14 > services or block them? Right now they are blocked, and that's going to
15 > make the src_test function on my ebuild expand into near insanity to fix.
16
17 I'd rather not get into allowing exceptions for the rule without
18 knowing a good use case first. I can expand on that once the previous
19 question is answered.
20
21 I wouldn't call spawning a daemon that close to insanity. For those who
22 haven't seen such a thing yet -- dev-python/pymongo is an example where
23 I fixed a similar issue (writing into production database). Though it's
24 bit hacky since I needed a way to bind to a random free port -- with
25 network namespaces it'd be easier as Rich noted, since the ebuild would
26 have all ports free.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny