From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: enabling ipc-sandbox & network-sandbox by default
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 17:20:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 05/12/2014 01:08 PM, Micha³ Górny wrote:
5 > Dnia 2014-05-12, o godz. 12:07:11
6 > "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> napisa³(a):
7 >
8 >> What about talking to local network resources? In my metasploit ebuild
9 >> it has tests available which talk to a local database and are perfectly
10 >> safe, however, if postgresql is started on the system the tests don't
11 >> work, the ebuild needs to start it's own postgresql to run the tests.
12 >
13 > How can you assume that the tests are perfectly safe? What do the tests
14 > do exactly?
17 As stated just below, the tests are not poorly written. All testing is
18 done in a test DB which is different from the production DB.
19
20 >> This seems a bit needless in my package, but likely saves others from
21 >> poorly written tests. Do we want to allow access to system network
22 >> services or block them? Right now they are blocked, and that's going to
23 >> make the src_test function on my ebuild expand into near insanity to fix.
24 >
25 > I'd rather not get into allowing exceptions for the rule without
26 > knowing a good use case first. I can expand on that once the previous
27 > question is answered.
28 >
29 I wouldn't necessarily ask for this either, I'm just bringing to the
30 attention of the ML as this could be an issue for more than metasploit
31 and pymongodb.
32
33 > I wouldn't call spawning a daemon that close to insanity. For those who
34 > haven't seen such a thing yet -- dev-python/pymongo is an example where
35 > I fixed a similar issue (writing into production database). Though it's
36 > bit hacky since I needed a way to bind to a random free port -- with
37 > network namespaces it'd be easier as Rich noted, since the ebuild would
38 > have all ports free.
39 >
40 That would be nice, can we do the network namespaces so that I at least
41 don't have to bind to a random port? That alone would be a major
42 improvement in usability.
43
44 Personally, I would love to be able to talk to localhost outside the
45 ebuild, but if everyone agrees that is too dangerous then I don't feel I
46 am qualified to disagree.
47
48 - -Zero