From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why autoconf in system?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:41:16
1 On Monday 12 September 2005 08:58 am, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > > Hi, as I mentioned, I built LFS without this (and I have coreutils on
3 > > it ;)
4 > >
5 > > Not at all - if we need to modify or create configure files during build
6 > > as Paul and Martin said ... we need autoconf/automake
7 >
8 > And furthermore, many programs (or upstream authors if you prefer) are
9 > braindead and don't know what some non-x86 arches are without updating
10 > the config.sub/config.guess, and re-running autoconf/automake.
11
12 those two files dont require re-running autoconf/automake
13
14 it isnt uncommon though to have upstream run autotools in the wrong order and
15 package the result as their release ... then when you run `./configure &&
16 make`, the build system has mismatched timestamps and thus tries to invoke
17 autotools to fix itself :/
18 -mike
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list