From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:23:37
1 On Friday, 16. May 2008, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Mike Auty wrote:
3 > > As one of the primary vmware devs, I'm not sure that vmware easily
4 > > fits into this group based on it's closed-source nature, and the
5 > > complex (but just about workable) module system we've put in place. I
6 > > also wouldn't want to muddy the virtualization email address with all
7 > > the random vmware module bugs... 5:)
8 > >
9 > > I'm pretty happy for the vmware group to go under the virtualization
10 > > herd, but I'd very much like to maintain the vmware email
11 > > alias/assignment for bugs, and I'm not sure how much we'd be able to
12 > > integrate with the larger group. Do you think it's worthwhile vmware
13 > > joining the umbrella or should we just stay separate?
14 >
15 > That's true. How about having a virtualization project which takes care
16 > of the common part, the docs and the coordination (if any) and have
17 > separate herds for larger "subprojects"?
18
19 I have to agree here for the Xen part. One big alias for all packages will
20 only jam up everybody's mailbox.
21 So we keep the existing herds (vmware, xen) and maintain common packages
22 such as libvirt under a super-herd. Question is what happens with the
23 packages that are not part of any herd yet (such as virtualbox, qemu)?
26 Robert