From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: turning off a default compile option
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:40:34
1 Paul de Vrieze posted <200407051601.37679.pauldv@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:01:37 +0200:
3
4 > On Monday 05 July 2004 15:52, Jeffrey Forman wrote:
5 >> Paul,
6 >>
7 >> Like a grep of the kernel config? I'm not quite sure where to check for
8 >> linux capabilities. I'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly
9 >> what 'linux capabilities' do. If the user is emerging something,
10 >> obviously they are running Gentoo linux.
11 >
12 > You could just try to use "uname -s" and disable caps if it does not
13 > return Linux (or the command does not exist)
14
15 That's not a sufficient test. Mainline 2.6 kernels have standard Linux
16 security capabilities broken out into their own module, now. Thus, it can
17 be compiled in as traditional, compiled as a module (my configuration,
18 with it specifically loaded at boot, since the kernel isn't smart enough
19 to auto-load it on its own, yet), or compiled out altogether.
20
21 Since it's now optional, simply testing for Linux won't work.
25 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
26 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
27 Benjamin Franklin
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list