From: Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:41:14
1 Hello Heroxbd,
2
3 Friday, January 10, 2014, 4:27:00 AM, you wrote:
4
5 > IMHO, the bleeding-edgeness and stability form a balance. We cannot
6 > achieve both. Taking RHEL for example, it uses ancient software for the
7 > sake of stability. Gentoo is way off the other extreme.
8
9 > For the udev change, the upstream has been doing evil and eudev is not
10 > introduced as the default for Gentoo (yet).
11
12 > New software breaks things, and security-updated old software needs
13 > extra care: That's the fundamental problem we couldn't circumvent.
14
15 True, it's fundamentally impossible for Gentoo to get rid of all the
16 problems with ebuilds.
17
18 What I offer is to make the response and self-assessment on Gentoo
19 changes automated and fast. Then it will be getting better by itself.
20 The rate of experience Dev is attaining will jump several times up and
21 the level drudgery will decrease in the same proportion.
22
23 And it's perfectly in Gentoo style. This is the fastest penguin,
24 erroneously married to a snake because the marriage looked easy from
25 the first but now it's getting harder and harder.
26
27 We have the Penguin but forgot to add neurons to his skin.
28
29 He is poked but doesn't know about that and doesn't respond
30 because he can't feel.
33 Best regards,
34 Igor mailto:lanthruster@×××××.com