From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 00:27:10
1 Hey Igor,
2
3 Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > Jeroen, tell me how many users world wide do not prefer to upgrade Gentoo
6 > on automated basis? There are important servers, and there are many
7 > cases when after upgrade server stops. Do you remember that recent udev
8 > change? And there are many similar cases. Imagine that your server
9 > is running a reactor. So what would you prefer to keep it running the
10 > reactor as it did flawlessly for 8 years or launch an upgrade taking
11 > the risks to blast yourself?
12 >
13 > Many be it's not only me, but somebody else who is thinking the same?
14 > Are you sure that the majority of Gentoo users are indulged in
15 > paranoid automated upgrade and then spending time fixing damage
16 > that upgrade did?
17 >
18 > Do you have a car? Why you don't change EVERY detail in your car on a new
19 > version on daily basis automatically?
20 >
21 > Why don't you change car as soon as a new version is released? Why not
22 > changing the new mouse, new keyboard, new monitor, new supply daily as
23 > soon as there is a new version?
24 >
25 > Not to mention that you can change daily appearances.
26
27 IMHO, the bleeding-edgeness and stability form a balance. We cannot
28 achieve both. Taking RHEL for example, it uses ancient software for the
29 sake of stability. Gentoo is way off the other extreme.
30
31 For the udev change, the upstream has been doing evil and eudev is not
32 introduced as the default for Gentoo (yet).
33
34 New software breaks things, and security-updated old software needs
35 extra care: That's the fundamental problem we couldn't circumvent.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Benda