From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:26:04
1 Martin Schwier wrote:
2 > To come to the bug, I'll comment Jakub Moc's last comment:
3 >
4 >> As said above - bloating default profiles even more goes to gentoo-dev mailing
5 >> list, so that people could comment. I for one am already annoyed enough by the
6 >> nonsense being added there, such as USE=kerberos or USE=ldap.
7
8 As Donnie recently talked/blogged about philosophy ...
9
10 One of the core Gentoo philosophies is that it's a meta distribution. As
11 such, the idea of "opt in" rather than "opt out" has been the motto for
12 quite a while. It's one defining trait of Gentoo.
13
14 I'll go with Jakub on this one. Adding more stuff is only a disservice
15 to everyone, including our users. Some use flags can do a lot of harm if
16 you try to take them out : directfb and xcb are 2 painful examples.
17
18 My 2 euro cents. :)
19
20 Rémi