From: Damian Florczyk <thunder@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Spider's Resignation from the Project
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:33:10
1 Seemant Kulleen napisaƂ(a):
2 > Dear All,
3 >
4 > I'm forwarding this on behalf of Spider. If anyone would like to send a
5 > message to him, please respond to me privately and I'll forward your
6 > wishes along.
7 >
8 > Thanks,
9 >
10 > Seemant
11 >
12 > ------- BEGIN
13 >
14 > Well, I guess the time has come to say farewell.
15 >
16 > Not without a slight taste of bitterness in my mouth as I write this.
17 > Sadness to see an old bunch of friends in the distance, reminiscent
18 > of Samwise standing behind and watching Bilbo, Frodo and his friends
19 > depart for other shores.
20 >
21 > Still, I think its time to tell some history of where we came from.
22 >
23 > The project I joined was small, we were... Twelve, I believe. My
24 > first additions were some clumsy additions for stuff I was missing
25 > when transitioning into Gentoo. Some small tools, backgrounds.
26 > Nothing fancy, just getting the compiler to work, some hacks on the
27 > kernel, a few tweaks to things here and there. Work was basically
28 > down to the "don't screw up" principle, and if you did , it wasn't
29 > the end of the world, because all the users were "hackers" and
30 > developers themselves. When portage died ( happened about every sync
31 > or so...) you fell back and did things manually. Was easier that way
32 > anyhow.
33 >
34 > QA, what was that?
35 >
36 > Devrel? Well, we had IRC, does that count? Later on it was Seemant.
37 > Seemant doesn't scale very well so he sorta burned out. Found out
38 > that drobbins didn't scale very well either, it got hard to keep track
39 > of things. At one point I think I was listed as maintainer of about
40 > 20% of the tree. We were also cause of some of the first really rough
41 > breakages. libpng incident and others caused us to think some more
42 > about ABI stability.
43 >
44 > People came and started to muck around more, without really knowing
45 > what they were doing, so we realised we needed another check for it.
46 > in came the ~x86 nomenclature. Tagging, Keywords. Starting to clean
47 > up the mess that our "one size fits all" USE flags were.
48 >
49 > The project grew and we started to get a lot more developers, far too
50 > many to know them all even by handle. Things got more organized into
51 > "teams" "herds" and so on. It also became a lot more demanding, you
52 > don't screw up. Fin. The QA watchdogs were there. I know, I was one
53 > of them, chasing about stability and quality.
54 >
55 > Things also started to take on a more "professional" attitude. yes,
56 > in quotations, because we still lacked a clear path, road map, reason
57 > and function. However, we had "deadlines" that never held, (deadlines
58 > with volunteers?) teams started to bicker in between each other,
59 > "you touched mine" started to remind you more and more about the
60 > twins in a long car-ride, bickering about who's fingers were on what
61 > seat.
62 >
63 > Suddenly the apple wasn't just a bit sour when you bit on it, its
64 > started to take on that sweet tone of rot.
65 >
66 > People weren't joking around and doing what was fun, but holding in
67 > mind some arbitrary product quality that wasn't specified. Different
68 > groups had different goals and agendas. All from a working system on
69 > an alpha, to embedded systems and network-wide installations. We were
70 > going to fit it all, without much overview.
71 >
72 > Through that, people started to lose touch on who does what. When
73 > things went strange in glibc you didn't log on and ask Az or me, you
74 > filed a bug report or contacted the herd. When mozilla was screwing
75 > around in the initscripts you didn't commit a fix (no no) but you
76 > filed a patch and a bug. vs one of the clunkiest implementations in
77 > history, "bugzilla".
78 >
79 > When you had an argument it was more dirt piles and backstabbing than
80 > work going on, and you ended up with a politicized system of councils
81 > and committee's to handle the insurgence.
82 >
83 > There was the cabal.
84 >
85 > And throughout this, we were still hacking around doing things for fun.
86 >
87 > Well, fun? I know for me it changed from that. Stopped being hacking
88 > around for fun to get things to work, turned towards "you must reply
89 > to these mails.." "you must fix bugs within <n>days" and more
90 > hassling with infrastructure and administration than doing work.
91 >
92 > Somewhere along the line it changed too much. Got too complex and
93 > complicated. We're still in that mess.
94 >
95 > A typical example of the institutionalisation of the project is myself.
96 >
97 > Had anyone just bothered to send me an email I would have replied.
98 > "no, he's gone, terminate the account." that part works.
99 >
100 > But.
101 >
102 > You could have told me.
103 >
104 > Since we're now so fond of bureaucracy, I'll add the following:
105 >
106 > I retain copyright of all works committed to the Gentoo foundations
107 > CVS repository, the license remains as GPL v2, and you have my full
108 > permission to continue to use it. Texts and guides written and/or
109 > co-authored by me will be treated the same way. (No, I never signed a
110 > copyright transfer to the project)
113 > So long, thanks for all the fish.
114 >
115 > And, remember. Give the kids in the back something to do and they will
116 > stop bickering.
119 Damn, he hit a point. Everything has changed since there was just few
120 developers and just a bit more users around. But I think that is the way
121 of growning projects from fun to responsiblity. Is it good? Well it's
122 hard to say. I hope that discussion will be best to resolv this problem.
125 Damian Florczyk
126 Gentoo/NetBSD Development Lead
127 --
128 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list