From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Spider's Resignation from the Project
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:55:53
1 Dear All,
2
3 I'm forwarding this on behalf of Spider. If anyone would like to send a
4 message to him, please respond to me privately and I'll forward your
5 wishes along.
6
7 Thanks,
8
9 Seemant
10
11 ------- BEGIN
12
13 Well, I guess the time has come to say farewell.
14
15 Not without a slight taste of bitterness in my mouth as I write this.
16 Sadness to see an old bunch of friends in the distance, reminiscent
17 of Samwise standing behind and watching Bilbo, Frodo and his friends
18 depart for other shores.
19
20 Still, I think its time to tell some history of where we came from.
21
22 The project I joined was small, we were... Twelve, I believe. My
23 first additions were some clumsy additions for stuff I was missing
24 when transitioning into Gentoo. Some small tools, backgrounds.
25 Nothing fancy, just getting the compiler to work, some hacks on the
26 kernel, a few tweaks to things here and there. Work was basically
27 down to the "don't screw up" principle, and if you did , it wasn't
28 the end of the world, because all the users were "hackers" and
29 developers themselves. When portage died ( happened about every sync
30 or so...) you fell back and did things manually. Was easier that way
31 anyhow.
32
33 QA, what was that?
34
35 Devrel? Well, we had IRC, does that count? Later on it was Seemant.
36 Seemant doesn't scale very well so he sorta burned out. Found out
37 that drobbins didn't scale very well either, it got hard to keep track
38 of things. At one point I think I was listed as maintainer of about
39 20% of the tree. We were also cause of some of the first really rough
40 breakages. libpng incident and others caused us to think some more
41 about ABI stability.
42
43 People came and started to muck around more, without really knowing
44 what they were doing, so we realised we needed another check for it.
45 in came the ~x86 nomenclature. Tagging, Keywords. Starting to clean
46 up the mess that our "one size fits all" USE flags were.
47
48 The project grew and we started to get a lot more developers, far too
49 many to know them all even by handle. Things got more organized into
50 "teams" "herds" and so on. It also became a lot more demanding, you
51 don't screw up. Fin. The QA watchdogs were there. I know, I was one
52 of them, chasing about stability and quality.
53
54 Things also started to take on a more "professional" attitude. yes,
55 in quotations, because we still lacked a clear path, road map, reason
56 and function. However, we had "deadlines" that never held, (deadlines
57 with volunteers?) teams started to bicker in between each other,
58 "you touched mine" started to remind you more and more about the
59 twins in a long car-ride, bickering about who's fingers were on what
60 seat.
61
62 Suddenly the apple wasn't just a bit sour when you bit on it, its
63 started to take on that sweet tone of rot.
64
65 People weren't joking around and doing what was fun, but holding in
66 mind some arbitrary product quality that wasn't specified. Different
67 groups had different goals and agendas. All from a working system on
68 an alpha, to embedded systems and network-wide installations. We were
69 going to fit it all, without much overview.
70
71 Through that, people started to lose touch on who does what. When
72 things went strange in glibc you didn't log on and ask Az or me, you
73 filed a bug report or contacted the herd. When mozilla was screwing
74 around in the initscripts you didn't commit a fix (no no) but you
75 filed a patch and a bug. vs one of the clunkiest implementations in
76 history, "bugzilla".
77
78 When you had an argument it was more dirt piles and backstabbing than
79 work going on, and you ended up with a politicized system of councils
80 and committee's to handle the insurgence.
81
82 There was the cabal.
83
84 And throughout this, we were still hacking around doing things for fun.
85
86 Well, fun? I know for me it changed from that. Stopped being hacking
87 around for fun to get things to work, turned towards "you must reply
88 to these mails.." "you must fix bugs within <n>days" and more
89 hassling with infrastructure and administration than doing work.
90
91 Somewhere along the line it changed too much. Got too complex and
92 complicated. We're still in that mess.
93
94 A typical example of the institutionalisation of the project is myself.
95
96 Had anyone just bothered to send me an email I would have replied.
97 "no, he's gone, terminate the account." that part works.
98
99 But.
100
101 You could have told me.
102
103 Since we're now so fond of bureaucracy, I'll add the following:
104
105 I retain copyright of all works committed to the Gentoo foundations
106 CVS repository, the license remains as GPL v2, and you have my full
107 permission to continue to use it. Texts and guides written and/or
108 co-authored by me will be treated the same way. (No, I never signed a
109 copyright transfer to the project)
112 So long, thanks for all the fish.
113
114 And, remember. Give the kids in the back something to do and they will
115 stop bickering.
119 begin .signature
120 .. signature ..
121 end