From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:53:33
1 On Friday 01 July 2005 12:25 pm, Brian D. Harring wrote:
2 > Currently, we pretty much leave out the big dogs of build depends from
3 > ebuilds- basically we rely on the profile to require a suitable
4 > toolchain. Couple of issues with this though-
5 >
6 > 1) Deps aren't complete for an ebuild.
7 > 2) Merging a php or python lib that doesn't require compilation
8 > doesn't require a full toolchain, distutils/pear or make mainly.
9 > So autoassuming a c/c++ toolchain is required isn't accurate.
10 > 3) For automatically handling x-compile deps, without this info bound
11 > to an ebuild, portage will _never_ be able to know what
12 > dependencies are x-compile targets, and what deps must be natively
13 > merged.
14
15 so what you're proposing is that we add binutils/gcc/glibc to every package
16 that compiles something, make to every package that uses make,
17 sed/grep/bash/coreutils to every package which runs configure, and
18 tar/gzip/bzip2 to every package which has a gzipped/bzipped tarball in
19 SRC_URI ?
20 -mike
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list