From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:35:27
1 On Saturday 02 July 2005 02:49, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 July 2005 12:25 pm, Brian D. Harring wrote:
3 > > Currently, we pretty much leave out the big dogs of build depends from
4 > > ebuilds- basically we rely on the profile to require a suitable
5 > > toolchain. Couple of issues with this though-
6 > >
7 > > 1) Deps aren't complete for an ebuild.
8 > > 2) Merging a php or python lib that doesn't require compilation
9 > > doesn't require a full toolchain, distutils/pear or make mainly.
10 > > So autoassuming a c/c++ toolchain is required isn't accurate.
11 > > 3) For automatically handling x-compile deps, without this info bound
12 > > to an ebuild, portage will _never_ be able to know what
13 > > dependencies are x-compile targets, and what deps must be natively
14 > > merged.
15 >
16 > so what you're proposing is that we add binutils/gcc/glibc to every package
17 > that compiles something, make to every package that uses make,
18 > sed/grep/bash/coreutils to every package which runs configure, and
19 > tar/gzip/bzip2 to every package which has a gzipped/bzipped tarball in
20 > SRC_URI ?
21
22 I'd agree with this as far as the compiling only. For the rest, they should
23 really be RDEPENDs from portage (or whatever it is that provides econf, emake
24 and unpack) itself. econf, emake and unpack are parts of the "ebuild
25 environment" that every ebuild is guaranteed to have available.
26
27 However, if an ebuild chooses to run make directly for some unknown reason or
28 use some specific tool to unpack an unsupported file format, the package
29 should really be explicit about its dependency.
30
31 Regards,
32 Jason Stubbs
33 --