From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force as a complement to use.mask in profiles
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:10:48
1 On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:57:39PM -0700, Ryan Tandy wrote:
2 > Peter Gordon wrote:
3 > >Zac Medico wrote:
4 > >>The difference with use.force is that it prevents flags, that are deemed
5 > >>extremely important, from being accidentally disabled by the user.
6 > >
7 > >If they were so "extremely important" then they would not be optional,
8 > >and hence not even be USE flags at all, no? Or am I missing something?
9 >
10 > Hmm... I set out to build a system recently (since 2006.0) with
11 > USE="-*", just to see if I could. After borking python a couple of
12 > times (you know how it is ;)), I was prevented from completing system by
13 > a couple of ebuilds failing on not having c++ available.
14
15 Question your method of bootstraping then- note that for gcc it's
16 nocxx, not cxx.
17
18 Meaning, USE=nocxx _disables_ building cxx; this is why default IUSE
19 is requested, to kill off the 'no' (and it's seperate from my point)-
20 c++ related failures there would be due to either
21
22 A) bootstrap script was stupid, wasn't working around portage
23 correctly
24 B) portage was dumber then the norm, and was screwing up dependency
25 ordering (woot) ;)
26 C) user intervention somehow screwd up the bootstrapping ;)
27
28 > My point, now that I've bored you all with a long story, is that if
29 > you're careful about it, no USE flag is *truly* required, at least for a
30 > working system. Sure, some are highly recommended - but isn't that what
31 > defaults are for? :)
32
33 Better point would be that the dependencies in use aren't actually
34 representative- if it requires c++ from gcc, it should be a use dep
35 (something portage doesn't yet support).
36
37 *Forcing* it to always have c++ on isn't much better either.
38
39 ~harring